Sunday, February 8, 2009

Ear Piercing and Update

Since Natalie was about 2 1/2 she has been asking to get her ears pierced. We decided that if she still wanted it done we would do it for her 4th birthday. I made an appointment for Saturday with a little girly store in Roseville so that there would be 2 people there to pierce at the same time. She was still not feeling all that great and I tried to get her to stay home, but she insisted. I had to take Kaitlyn along since Kevin got what the girls had....the first thing she told Kevin when we got home was "Natalie ears pierced....cry...whaaaaa...". Natalie actually did very well and only cried for about 3 minutes and then was fine.

As far as her having the stomach flu....she seemed to be doing a little better yesterday, even ate a little though out the day and then proceeded to barf up everything she ate in the last 48 hours (it seemed like that much anyway) and has since gotten worse. After sleeping all night, she woke up this morning feeling pretty good. She was in a good mood when she woke up, snuggled in bed with me for about a half an hour and then had her morning chocolate milk and everything seemed fine. She was still laying around on the couch, taking sips of fluid every 1/2 hour or so, when I left for the grocery store.

When Kaitlyn and I got home we were greeted by Natalie's shirt, shorts and panties on the floor at the base of the stairs...never a good sign. She was in the bath...also not a good sign....and had puked up everything she had this morning. At this point she was looking much worse than this morning. Her cheeks were really flushed and her belly was pretty distended, she also looked much more uncomfortable. Since she pretty much hasn't kept anything down in the last 4 days I figured it was time to call the doctor. I called the clinic and asked if they could call in some phenergan (for nausea and vomiting) suppositories, just to help get her to hold anything down. The doctor said she would only call in 1 or 2 and if they didn't work I would have to take her to the ER. I didn't think she was quite ER worthy yet (a visit to the ER would most likely result in an IV), so I called work (God, I love working in the PI).

Jon (an ER resident) called me back and recommended some Zofran that dissolves on the tongue. I guess they give it a ton for gastroenteritis down in the ER and it works pretty well. I am not too concerned about her not eating but not being able to keep any liquids down (and the fact she hadn't peed since this morning) was worrying me more. So, back to the grocery store for the meds and some Gatorade.

Since I gave her the Zofran she has kept her Gatorade down, for now....I will keep my fingers crossed. She is passing some pretty stinky gas (Yum!) as she is resting on the couch beside me, so that has to be helping her distended belly.

What a weekend....



1.....2.......3......

Not thinking this is much fun right now

Tears are almost gone

Lunch at Dos Coyotes

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a big, brave girl especially since she wasn't over the flu yet. Love the dress! We can hardly wait to see her on Sat.