Friday, December 19, 2008

Sicko

Here is Kaitlyn a few days before she got really sick. She started on Sunday with a really croupy cough. She woke up during the night and had a temperature of 104.7. Needless to say she was pretty miserable. Her croupy cough turned into something much more junky and every day she seemed to get a little bit sicker. About 80% of the kids in her class are sick right now, including her sister.

By Wednesday she was not acting herself at all, so off to the pediatricians office we went. Her lungs sounded clear but we did a chest x-ray in case he couldn't hear something worse that might be going on (since she has been spiking pretty high fevers and even Motrin would only bring it down to about 102.) The x-ray didn't look worrisome so he wrote me a prescription for Augmentin just in case she continues to get worse.

Thursday morning she was overly miserable, thus giving me every reason to start the antibiotic (with the full understanding of if it is a virus then it won't help...but she looked so bad, I felt like I had to do something). Shortly after picking up the prescription, the pediatricians office called and said the radiologist felt she did have some infiltrate on her left side, indicating a pneumonia. Most likely a viral pneumonia, so the Augmenin won't help....but it will help whatever seems to be going on in her nose. So with the start of the Augmentin comes the start of diarrhea! Fun!

I can only hope this weekend will be better than the days combined of this past week. I hope to be able to get some cookies made and presents wrapped! I hope Kaitlyn feels better soon and that both girls will be healthy for the upcoming festivites of Christmas!


No comments: